Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Well done, Rush

 It's been a little over a week since Rush Limbaugh passed away from complications due to lung cancer. While I was not surprised to hear that he had passed, I was still very sad. I had been listening to Rush for about 28 years. I used to be a "femi-nazi", I marched in a protest against the first Gulf War, and I had a bumper sticker on my car that said, "If you are against abortion, don't have one."

OBVIOUSLY, my views have changed, and a lot of that is because of Rush. I started listening to him when I was working at chocolate factory in Brattleboro, Vermont. I was about 18 and the only reason I turned him on was because the people I worked directly with were listening as well, and I couldn't join in the conversations they would have because I was ignorant of what had happened on the show.

Lo and behold, the guy made sense. It was in the middle of the Anita Hill scandal during the confirmation hearings for Clarence Thomas. Policies were being made at workplaces based on what was happening at the Senate hearings - and all you heard at night was how awful Clarence Thomas was, because the only point of view was from ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN.

Rush always said he "made the complex understandable" and he did. He didn't tell you what to think, but he did present an opposing point of view and made you think.

I hope to do better blogging on a regular basis, because now that Rush is gone, we need as many voices presenting our side as possible.

Can't wait to see you in heaven, Rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well done, Rush

 It's been a little over a week since Rush Limbaugh passed away from complications due to lung cancer. While I was not surprised to hear...