Thursday, January 5, 2012

Health Insurance and Pre-Existing Conditions

I saw a post today about Rick Santorum and his "Top 10 Most Outrageous Campaign Statements".  It was from  a liberal "friend", so they were obviously shocked and appalled.  I, however, didn't mind it so much - go figure!

Here's the list:
1) Annul all same-sex marriages.  I really have no problem with that, EXCEPT that I don't think the federal government should be intruding into states' laws.  I can see that the DOMA would probably allow the federal government to do that, though....thoughts??

2)  He's for income inequality.  Here's where I'm confused.  He apparently said that some people should make more than other people because they have better ideas and work harder.  Why would ANYONE have a problem with that??

3)  He would repeal all federal funding for birth control and allow states to outlaw birth control.  I personally understand where he's coming from (people do things they wouldn't otherwise if they have a "safety net" of contraception), HOWEVER, I don't like it.  So I can agree with those who say this is outrageous.

4)  He supported DADT.  I agree.  We don't allow men and women to share rooms in the military for obvious reasons.  Why would we allow homosexuals to share rooms with "potential hook-ups"?  Now, to be clear, homosexuals shouldn't be beaten up or hazed or anything like that in the military.  But I understand the reason for them to keep their mouths shut about their sexuality.

5)  Obama should oppose abortion because he's black.  Hello....what color babies get aborted more??  Blacks.  I agree with Santorum on this one.

6)  We don't need food stamps because obesity rates are so high.  As far as I know, you can only buy "good" food with food stamps, so I don't see the correlation there.

7)  He doesn't like the exceptions to abortion for the life or health of the mom, calling them phony.  I personally think that the only reason these exceptions are included is to try to make people think that abortion in cases of the mother's health are much higher than they really are.  However, I don't see how abortion, which is legal, could be without those exceptions, because they do happen.

8)  He said that socialized medicine would have been bad for his daughter, who was born with a genetic abnormality.  Well, let's see.  We've all heard the stories about waiting for health care and rationing of health care in societies that have a single-payer system.  What's the problem with this one?

9)  He apparently told a woman complaining about high prescription drug costs to lower her cable and cell phone bills.  He also compared health insurance to cars, saying it's a luxury resource.  Now this gets sticky, because no one wants to be the one to say to a really sick person, we're not paying for your care.  However, I do agree that it's not the federal government's job to pay for your health care.  We COULD do without things to pay for our own care, and I DO believe health care costs will never go down or at least stabilize as long as we don't pay for our own care.  I know it's unpopular, and people will be mad at me for saying this.  But that's why we're here - because no one will say no.  You wouldn't go knocking on stranger's doors asking for money for health care, but we're okay with asking the government to pay.  Let me also add that you WOULD ask friends, if it was bad (and you should), and they would help you (and they should).

10)  He defended insurers that refused people with pre-existing conditions and said that those who had pre-existing conditions should pay more for insurance because they cost more.  Sounds like what we do with auto insurance....what's the problem?

5 comments:

  1. I think that the real issue is the use of the word "outrageous". What may seem outrageous to you may seem perfectly ordinary to me. Actually, even that is beside the point. If something is outrageous, then it implies that there is a norm. And a more important discussion would center around what we consider to be normal, or right, or even true.

    Additionally, the use of the word rockets us to hyperbole and intensified emotions so that we aren't really considering what is being said, only how we feel about without examining our presuppositions and considering the opposing perspective.

    I've noticed the irony of well-meaning people who post a comment to a blog and scream: know your facts, idiot (insert idealogical opposite here)! Facts are not emotionally charged things and yet we threaten people with stupidity if they aren't known. ('Somewhere' it says: A quiet answer turns away wrath.)

    I get that hyperbole is part of rhetoric which I think fail to understand properly, but wouldn't it be better if the post your friend shared.was titled: 10 Things Santorum Has Said With Which I Disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!?!?! My comments need approval?!?!?! The outrage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....they SHOULDN'T need approval....

    Anyway - about the first comment. The post was originally from some LBGT group. That explains LOT. :-)

    But yes, you're right....there's not a lot of thinking and debating going on, just "yelling".

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, birth control...

    ...I haven't really thought about it as its own issue, but I would generally consider myself to be against any kind of state sponsored funding of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I do disagree with the idea of federal government paying for birth control, I can see that paying for birth control would be better than paying for more children on Medicare, Medicaid, welfare, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Well done, Rush

 It's been a little over a week since Rush Limbaugh passed away from complications due to lung cancer. While I was not surprised to hear...