Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Military cuts

As we are all aware, there have to be "across-the-board" cuts made because, surprise, surprise, the Super Committee couldn't decide on specific cuts.  Half is to come from the military, and half apparently from Medicare.

I have a few different ideas and would love to hear your opinions.

First, you should not receive more back in a tax refund than you paid out in taxes.  I speak from experience on this one.  My hubby often has combat pay, and add that to deductions for our mortgage, charitable giving, and kids, we often get back more than we paid into the system.  That makes no sense whatsoever.  None.  I appreciate the money, but not at the real cost.

Second, specific military cuts.  There are several airplanes, ships, etc., that the DoD has specifically said they don't want, but Congress pushed through.  The F-35 is one example, as is the C-17.  The F-22 and C-130, respectively would work FINE if avionics were updated.  I have no examples for the Army or Marines, as I haven't had real conversations with military friends of those services.

Third, Congress gets way too much for what they do.  Pensions no matter how long you work?  Automatic pay raises?

Fourth, well, pretty much anything that isn't specifically mentioned in the Constitution (see the 10th amendment).

That's a good start for me.  However, I know that these are complete pipe dreams....unless we get rid of every single person in Congress.  I am ALL FOR term limits.  That's one area where I agree with liberals that people are just too stupid to take care of themselves.  <kidding, kidding>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well done, Rush

 It's been a little over a week since Rush Limbaugh passed away from complications due to lung cancer. While I was not surprised to hear...